Monday, December 1, 2014

Congrats, it's a discus.

Tonight is my last night as a 32 year old. Tomorrow I will no longer be the same age I was when my father passed away.

It's a relief. And sad - all at once. There's a comfort in knowing my dad was at his house when I got home from watching a (really bad) movie with my mom and sister exactly a year ago. But it also will probably be a step forward. Going on a whole new year without him there. I feel torn. I want to leave the 32nd year behind me. To think that time heals all wounds and this is a tangible marker of time.

I may leave the year behind, but not Dad. That's not possible. I figure dragging him along for the ride is a fair trade off for him making me listen to my birth story so many times.

Mom required a cesarean when I was born. And back in the dark ages, they knocked you out. And also stapled you shut. I won't go on about how Dad took a staple gun and stragetically placed staples around their bathroom after we got home to make mom think she was losing them. You're lucky you lived as long as you did, dude. Instead, I will just relay Dad's favorite part.

They owned a tropical fish store when I was born. And my doctor happened to be one of their clients. He proudly removed a beautiful baby (that's me, duh) and handed her off to my father.

In the movies they say "Congratulations, it's a girl!"

In the story of my birth, the doctor chuckled and said "It's a discus!"

My dad told me once when I was older that he wasn't ready to be a father. That he almost felt indifferent until they put that little discus in his arms, and then his life changed forever. Please note that he didn't say for the better or worse. But since he left me to tell the tale, we will pretend it was for the better. I know my future was destined to be full of life, love, and laughter because of my parents. But, then again, Dad did often point out that Mom slept through the whole ordeal and he was the one there to hold me.

From this discus to her Dad: I'm ready to leave this year behind me. But not you.


And for reference, here are a few discus. They look about as amused as I was upon hearing this story 1,000 times in my 32 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment