Friday, September 5, 2014

Stand Up For Yourself And Others

We are sitting here watching Stand Up To Cancer and reminiscing about Dad.

When Stand Up To Cancer first aired, years ago, it wasn't well known. We watched it with Dad....who literally stood up out of his chair every time they said the words "stand up to cancer" during the hour long television show.

As someone who saw him no longer able to stand from a chair, and wished for nothing more than to see my dad stand up and walk down the hallway of their home, it's a bittersweet memory. I'm proud of him. Proud that he stood up to cancer. Proud he fought for as long as he could. Proud that he affected so many lives in his own short life.

But I'm sad. Sad he was robbed of the chance to stand on his own. Sad that cancer knocks as many people on their ass as it does. I'm sad that so many can say they were touched by the disease.

But being where we have been,  seeing what I've seen, I'm also encouraged. I'm encouraged by the generosity of strangers. I'm encouraged by the people who have reached out and asked to help with The Jim G Carpenter Foundation. The deepest darkest depths of this horrendous disease has crippled and robbed our family. It has brought us to our knees. It has rocked our world and made the bottom fall out from under our feet. But it has shown us how good people are, how strong they can be when you can't be strong for yourself, and just how much promise there really is in the world. The darkest times sometimes show you the most blinding of lights.

I don't have cancer to thank for this eye opening experience, but people. People show us the good every day. People like my family, my friends, cancer survivors,  community members - this is what provides us with the light and love (and often times laughter) that help pull you through. These are the people that help you stand up to cancer. They are often, also, the people need our help standing up to cancer themselves.

If you feel like you want to donate to help others stand up to cancer, feel free to do so here.

My dad taught me to stand up for myself, no matter how hard it was. He believed you should never back down from a challenge. No matter how difficult or fear inducing the fight was - you give it all you can. And that's exactly what he did. Until his very last day,  he stood up to cancer. Even when he couldn't stand up any more. He fought hard enough and long enough to instill the fight in so many others. I implore all of you to stand up. For yourself, for others,  to cancer, to your darkest fears. Just stand up.

Now,  if you'll excuse me - I need to go stand up and sit down a few 100 times from my dad's chair. Just like he always stood next to me? I will continue to stand up for him, in his honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment