Thursday, February 20, 2014

Piece: Conspirator

Last week I had a long talk about how people fit into our lives. Some people are big puzzle pieces, some people are smaller pieces, some of them are edges that contain everything nicely, some are the pieces that look and seem like the other twelve "cloud" pieces (seriously I hate doing puzzles with sky backgrounds) - but they are all important. And they all lock into their own place. It made me think heavily about the puzzle that is my own life. And how those pieces fit together. 

I also realized that some people fit into many parts of my puzzle. My dad was a father, a friend, a comforter, a coach, a mentor, a role model, and sometimes - he was my co-conspirator. This may be one that I miss the most. Someone who would get into trouble with me. And one that could shield me from the trouble I should be in. But - he's the dad! Of course you can get away with it. 

For as long as I could remember, Dad was right there with me. Causing trouble, reeking havoc, egging me on to do something ridiculous. He was also the one who helped me sneak a Chucky doll into my younger sister's bed (Sorry, Emily!) late at night. 

My dad was an excellent parent. And he definitely pushed both my sister and I in the right direction. But that doesn't mean he didn't have fun along the way. One of my favorite stories lasted for years - until he passed away, in fact. 

My sister was maybe 14 years old. I walked into my parents house and my sister's back was to me. She was talking to my father in the serious tone that all teenagers can evoke when necessary. 

Sister: I'm going to work hard at learning to be funny this summer, that's my goal. 
Dad: What?
Sister: I need you to tell me when I'm funny, so I know I am being funny. So I can work on it. 
Dad: You need me to teach you to be funny? I don't think that you teach someone that.
Sister: Yes. I need you to validate me, so that I know I was funny.
Dad: Soooo, like you want me to yell out CHECK whenever you're funny? 
Sister: That will suffice.

She then walked away, leaving my Dad with his jaw open. And probably wondering if she was really "ours" or not. This story has been told so many times, to so many people, that you can't yell out "Check!" without someone knowing what it means and laughing. It also means that there were so many times where a failed sister-joke resulted in my dad yelling out: we are deducting points. Or when it was only partly funny: That was a check-minus!

But mainly, we just used it against her. 

Sister: I said something really funny today. 
Me: How? Did you tell one of my jokes? 
Dad: Oooh. CHECK for Denise!

Sister: Mom and Dad stopped after me because they realized they got it right finally.
Me: Or because they thought that the final draft would be better than the first draft - since you did have me as an example. But they were terrified when they realized it could get exponentially worse. So they decided to just call it a day.
Dad: CHECK!

Poor Emily. We love her, really. And she is very funny. Almost as funny as me. When I'm sleeping, maybe. (Check.)

Mom was not exempt from Dad's shenanigans, either. I won't go into details on how - when they owned their pet store - dad took a tarantula's molting and placed it on the cash register to scare her. Just know it was hilarious, I am certain. 

I was just thinking how much I missed this part of my puzzle - that Dad troublemaking part - the other night. Mom and I went to play Bingo and I giggled at how a lady was walking around saying "Hotballs!" all night. She was innocently trying to sell a quick lotto-like ticket. But still, I'm not always mature. You know who my father was, right? 

My mom started talking about Dad. 

Mom: Dad would have loved volunteering at Bingo, in his old age. 

Me: Probably. Because they have tasty food here. 
Mom: And he would have come home and said "I got to say balls all night, at church bingo!"

At this point we both laughed. And then this happened. 


Mom: Oh, I have 53. Now all I need is 66.
Me: Huh?
Mom: Wait. They already called 66. Crap. I had a bingo I didn't call.
Me: Well, that's not funny at all. *shifty eyes* *stifles laugh* *coughs*
Mom: I was talking about your Dad giggling about saying balls and I missed a bingo. Seriously?

I like to think Dad had a hand in that. And all I can think to say is: Check!
 
 For Throwback Thursday sake, Dad says - it wasn't me - it was the other guy.

 
Who is he kidding. He's laughing at you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment